Monday, April 27, 2015

Never Trust Siri

Tuesdays are my day off so I got to tag along for a ride day with the boys. 
We got Wyatt from school early and went down to Scrubndirt. There were only a handful of people there so it was nice. Wyatt and Ronny put down a ton of laps. I did my my MotoMom duties and kept their lap times. 
The weather was fabulous. 

Wyatt was throwing huge no footers over the giant tabletop managed to not go down a single time. He was killing it. However...The highlight of the day was screaming "SQUID" at Ronny across the track as he barrel-rolled through a corner in true squid fashion. It was more than epic. He may or may not take me with them anymore. ;)

Now on to why you can't trust Siri and the events of last weekend...

In case you didn't know, I work for a vacation rental company in Sautee/Helen.
Something I do on the daily is tell people NOT to use a GPS/they're phone to find the way to our cabins, much less to our office.
That being said, we left out Friday after work headed to Thunder Valley MX in Livingston, TN for a Mideast Area Qualifier.
I had mapped it and felt like the best route was over to Dalton and catching I-75 North there. Ronny plugs it in his phone and finds another route through Blairsville. His route showed 20 minutes faster than mine. He won the battle. Over the mountain we went.
Once through Blairsville we went to Murphy then turned on to some road that I can't remember. I do know we went by "The Field of the Wood"...if you've been there you know how small this road is. (Remember we're pulling a 30' camper.)
Off that tiny road we made another turn and Siri tells us we have 47 miles on this road.
47 MILES on this pig trail!
It reminded me of HWY 197 in between Clarksville and Lake Burton but smaller. We eventually returned to civilization in Telico Plains, TN and finally onto I-75 North. We hit I-40 for a bit and then made our way to Thunder Valley MX...just before the gates closed at 11PM. I'm not sure if we really saved any time, but we now know how not to go.

Saturday was race day. Top 8 move onto the Regional.
The track was nice and looked like a track Wyatt would be able to do well on.
He finished 2nd & 3rd. Not the results we wanted, but they're qualifying positions so that's fine by me. He aired out some big tables and doubles. He was the only little 50 hitting them, so that was pretty awesome. The Mideast Regional is a regional we hope to not need. It's our backup plan if the Southeast Regional doesn't go our way. 

After the race, while were packing up we realized that there was a Sunday race at Echeconnee (near Macon). So, I mapped it and it was 4.5 hours home or 4.5 hours to Echeconnee.
Ronny asked Wyatt and of course he chose racing over a ride day at home.
So we were South bound by 4:30.

After a bit of confusion on where a Walmart was in Chattanooga, we made our way down to Lizella, GA.

Echeconnee was voted "The Best Track in Georgia" and self proclaim "The Best Dirt in the South"...it was even on the plaques. More like "Best Sand in the South", but whatever. It's a tough and rough track so it's good for getting the hang of riding rough stuff. 

Wyatt went 1-1 in the 4-6 Stock and 7-11 in the 4-8 Open. He was one of 2 little bikes on the gate and had a couple gnarly crashes in the open class. The track was rough, as expected. We were pleased, he rode really well in the conditions. 

This weekend is Aonia Pass, one of Wyatt's favorite tracks. It's a Southeast Area Qualifier, so should be fun. 






No comments:

Post a Comment